Come back to reality


domingo, 1 de noviembre de 2009

Zentralfriedhof - Central Cemetery of Vienna

Today I´ve gone to the Central Cemetery of Vienna. It is the Austrian largest burial ground, containing two and a half million graves, was opened in 1874 on the city´s southern outskirts. the central section includes graves of artists, composers, architects, writers and local politicians. The cemetery contains a vast array of funerary monuments varying from the humble to the bombastic, paying tribute to the city´s enduring obsesion with death.

Map of the Cemetery

The cemetery is really large and I think I would come back another day, but I´ll wait until spring to go and spend there all the morning walking and visiting all the monuments and graves of famous people.









Dr-Karl-Lueger-Kirche
Max Hegele, a pupil of Otto Wagner, designed this church dedicated to Vienna´s mayor in 1907-10
Interior of the chuch



J
ohannes Brahms grave. 1833–1897
Johann Strauss 1825–1899
Franz Schubert 1797–1828
Ludwig van Beethoven 1770–1827


Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 1756–1791
This is not the real grave because nobody knows really where Mozart was buried. It is said that he was buried somewher in Vienna´s St.Marx cemetery, but the exact location is unknown.




The cemetery is really nice and the graves are marvellous. I took a lot of photos but it is not possible to upload all of them. I´ll come back and I´ll go to the Old Jewish cemetery, the islamic and protestant area and I´ll look for the monument to the Dead of World War I.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario